February 26, 2014

Meredith's *Perfect* Rice Krispie Treats

I'm kind of a Rice Krispie treat snob and love it when I sink my teeth into a "perfect" one.  This recipe is completely from scratch, and as close to *my* perfect as can be!

2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin (I used Knox brand; the 1oz box comes with 4 envelopes; I used 2 of those individual envelopes)
1 cup water, divided
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup **
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp imitation butter flavoring (optional)
1/8 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, melted.
8+ cups crispy rice cereal

- Line a 8 or 9 inch square baking dish with foil and then grease it.
- Mix gelatin and 1/2 cup of the water in an electric mixer bowl.  Set aside.
- On the stove in a small saucepan, bring the other 1/2 cup of water, sugar, corn syrup, and cream of tartar to a boil.  Use a candy thermometer and boil until it reaches 240 degrees (about 8 minutes once it starts to boil).
- Meanwhile, melt butter and set aside to cool.
- Remove syrup from stovetop once it reaches 240 degrees.
- Start the mixer on medium speed and slowly pour the hot syrup into the gelatin, which should have swelled by now.
- Once it is all poured in, increase speed to medium high to high.  Beat mixture until it becomes white and fluffy, and has about tripled it's size (approximately 5 mintues).
- Pour in salt, vanilla, and butter flavoring (if using) and mix until blended in.  Then pour in melted butter; the size of the mixture will decrease a little.  Mix until blended.
- Transfer into another bowl (if you want) and then stir in the cereal until it is well-coated.  Add more or less, depending on how gooey you like your rice krispie treats!
- Transfer coated cereal to baking dish and stick in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to set.
- Cut into bars and eat, or store in an airtight container.

**If you don't have corn syrup, you may substitute with sugar.  So, it would be 2 cups of sugar and no corn syrup.**

Recipe by Meredith

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the idea of making your own marshmallows for these treats! they look amazing!

Unknown said...

What could I use instead of corn syrup? Any suggestions?

Meredith said...

I've used only granulated sugar when I was out of corn syrup. Instead of 1 cup sugar and 1 cup corn syrup, I used 2 cups sugar! Tastes great!

Unknown said...

Can this be made without the cream of tartar? I thought I had some but I do not.

Meredith said...

Arlene, I believe the cream of tartar is just to prevent the syrup from crystalizing. I've made it without it and it tasted just fine! You will be good to go! :)

keckers22 said...

This is my favorite rice krispy treat recipe, I have made it several times! But I always end up with a 9x13 pan AND an 8x8 pan haha. Maybe because I use 9-10 cups of cereal? Anyway, I love reading your blog and have been for a couple years!

Britt said...

Is it common for these to have no crunch to them? The flavor is incredible but they are "soft." Should I add more cereal if I prefer them to stay crunchier? Thank you!

keckers22 said...

yeah they are pretty soft, I add 9-10 cups of cereal so its a little more crunchy but its still a lot softer than the store bought kind

Lolly said...

If you want a tougher treat, keep the marshmallow formula on the stove a little longer.

In a traditional RC treat recipe, it's recommended you remove the 'mallows when they're 2/3rd melted and let them finish melting off the stove. This would result in a "softer" treat.

I prefer the softer RC treat so this recipe looks awesome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...